As we head into fall, you're going to need a go-to apple pie recipe to whip up for healthy but delicious desserts - and look no further than this one!
Super Simple Apple Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the crust:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose (organic, gluten-free) Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter, sliced roughly into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Shortening, chilled, sliced roughly into 1-inch cubes
- 6 Tablespoons Ice Water
For the filling:
- 12 Cups Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-1/8-inch thick
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced (~1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 Cup Raw Sugar (Cane, unrefined)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 pinch of each: cloves, nutmeg and ginger (optional)
- Vegan milk and coarse sugar, for finishing the crust.
- First, and preferably a day in advance, prepare the crust:
- Sift together flour and salt. Cut in butter and shortening.
- Sprinkle mixture with ice water one tablespoon at a time, stirring gently after each addition, until dough comes together into a ball.
- Divide dough into two equal parts. Shape each half into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or (preferably!) overnight.
- When you’re ready, roll out both disks and arrange one in the bottom of a 9″ pie pan. Refrigerate bottom and top crusts while you make the filling.
- Melt butter in a very large skillet over high heat. Add apples and toss to distribute butter. Reduce heat to medium and cover tightly. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in juice, sugar, and spices. Increase heat to high and cook, uncovered, until the liquid reduces slightly (2-3 minutes).
- Transfer apples to clean baking sheets or bowls and allow to cool fully.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fill bottom of crust with apple mixture; don’t worry if the filling is taller than the crust! Arrange top crust as desired, making sure to seal the edges and leave slits or other openings for steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Without removing pie from oven, increase heat to 400°F and continue to bake for 10 minutes more, or until crust is golden.
- Allow to cool completely, or until just warm, about 2-3 hours. A longer cooling time will ensure that the pie slices neatly.
- If pie has cooled completely, you can warm it up in the oven just before serving (about 15 minutes at 350°F).