If you are eggs in the morning then give this vegan egg recipe a try. Tofu makes the "egg white," polenta and chickpeas come together to make the "egg yolk" and all of it is piled on a piece of toast with avocado and tomato. And best of all, this recipe only takes 15 minutes!
Sunny Side Up ‘Egg’ on Toast [Vegan]
For the "Egg Yolk":
- 1 1/2 teaspoons polenta
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powders
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
For the "Egg White":
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu
- A bit of nutritional yeast
- Black salt
For the Toast:
- Toasted bread
- Finely sliced up avocado
- Lemon juice
- Sliced tomato
- Chives (optional)
- If you have black salt and it comes in flakes or rocks then put some into your blender until it has a more powdery consistency. That works better with this recipe.
- In a blender, add 1/2 a cup of water, 1 1/2 teaspoons polenta, the chickpeas, and the melted margarine, and blend until you have a very smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture into a small pan, add all other egg yolk ingredients and turn up the heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes or until the egg yolk has the desired consistency. You might have to add a bit more water or oil if you like the egg yolk more shiny.
- For the egg whites, press the water out of the tofu and cut it into thin slices. Season them on both sides with a bit of black salt, pepper, and a few nutritional yeast flakes.
- Fry the tofu in a pan with a bit of oil. While the tofu is sizzling, toast the bread and slice up the avocado and the tomato.
- When they are done, start assembling. Add the avocado first, drizzle some lemon juice on it and a bit of salt, add the tomato, then the tofu egg whites and then the golden egg yolks on top. Sprinkle some chives on it to give it a bit of extra flavor. Serve.