A delicious, sweet and savory fresh update on a traditional peanut butter cookie.
Sunflower Seed Butter Cookies [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cups sunflower butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF
- In a small bowl mix your ground flax and water and set it aside to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sunflower butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and brown sugar and continue to mix until well incorporated.
- Add the thickened flax egg and vanilla and continue to beat.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture beating slowly only until blended. Do not overmix.
- Place the mixing bowl in the fridge for 30-45 minutes to chill (If you're going to leave it any longer, cover it).
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll cookies into golf ball sized balls (or smaller if that's your preference) and place onto a stone cookie sheet or ungreased cookie sheet of choice.
- Using a fork press down gently on top of the cookies to create an imprint from the fork. Rotate your fork and do this again to create a crisscross pattern on the cookies.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until bottom edges are light golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.