These raw tarts capture all the best flavors of summer, yet require no roasting and also remain gluten-free and grain-free. They hold just the right amount of crust to veggies ratio, and, served with a side salad, make for a nourishing, but sufficiently light, lunch or dinner. The crust is made from blended pistachios, pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast and sun-dried tomatoes, and the filling could be anything that you would like, but I used thinly sliced zucchini and heirloom tomatoes mixed with a generous amount of chopped basil and minced garlic. Simple, but oh-so-good.
Sun-Dried Tomato and Zucchini Tarts [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 cup raw pistachios
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 cups sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, somewhat drained (leave some oil) (a little less than 2 8.5 ounce jars)
- 1 small zucchini, ends chopped, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- A couple pinches of sea salt
- 4-5 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced thin (about 18 slices)
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet, cooled
- Add the zucchini, garlic, olives, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper, to taste, to a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly but gently until well incorporated.
- Grind the flax seeds in a coffee grinder dedicated to nuts and seeds.
- Add the pistachios and pumpkin seeds to the bowl of a food processor. Process on high until finely ground, about one minute. Add the flax seeds, nutritional yeast, sun-dried tomatoes and sea salt and process again until a paste forms, about two minutes (if the mixture feels a little dry, add some olive oil, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the right consistency is achieved).
- Using your fingers, evenly spread the crust onto each tart pan (about 1/3 cup per tart), coming up the sides, as well. Your fingers will be wet and sticky.
- Add one layer of tomato slices to the bottom of the tart, then some of the zucchini mixture, then another layer of tomato slices, etc. until it reaches the top.
- Top with extra basil, olives, and pine nuts, and serve immediately.