Succotash is an American Indian dish, hailing from New England, that was highly popular during the Great Depression because of its affordable ingredients and filling nature. Sometimes it was baked like a casserole or as a pot pie. This version is made with fresh corn, lima beans, soybeans, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, margarine, shallots, garlic, thyme, chives with some marinated smoked tofu.
Ingredients You Need for Succotash [Vegan]
- 3 ears of corn, boiled and cut off the cob
- 7 ounces extra firm, smoked tofu, cubed and marinated in soy sauce and liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 5 -6 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 pound soybeans
- 1 orange bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- A splash or two of white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- A handful of finely chopped, fresh thyme
- A handful of finely chopped, fresh chives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Succotash [Vegan]
- Marinate the tofu in about 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon liquid smoke.
- Fill a large pot of water, and start to boil.
- While you're waiting for the water to boil, melt the butter in a large, deep frying pan and add the shallots and garlic.
- After a few minutes, when the shallots have softened, add the beans and pepper, stir and cook for a few more minutes before adding the remaining ingredients (apart from the tofu). Reduce the heat.
- Add the corn to the boiling water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain the marinade from the tofu and fry in a separate frying pan on medium high heat, until they get some color and/or a little crispy on the surface.
- Remove the corn from the water, use an oven mitt to hold each ear, and carefully cut the kernels off the cob. Add the corn and fresh herbs to the vegetable mix and stir.
- Serve the succotash, topped with the smoked tofu as a main dish, part of a buffet or, optionally along with some boiled potatoes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.