This strawberry pie, aka classic Italian crostata, is impossible to resist. It’s beautiful to look at and delicious to eat. The strawberry jam gives it a bright red color and a delicious strawberry flavor. It’s easy to make, fragrant, sweet, aromatic, and fruity. And best of all, it’s completely vegan. Taste it! You won’t believe it.
Strawberry Pie [Vegan]
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups strawberry jam
For the Strawberry Pie:
- In a bowl, add orange zest, vanilla extract, sunflower oil, coconut oil, water, salt, sugar, and stir well.
- Add the flour and the baking powder all at once and mix with a spoon.
- When the dough comes together, mix a few more times with your hands until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a bowl.
- Wrap in foil and let rest in the fridge for an hour, or in the freezer for 15 minutes. This is a very important step as the dough needs to cool down or else it will be very hard to roll.
- Prep the pie dish by greasing it with some oil. We use a 10-inch pie dish. 9 inch is easier if it's your first pie.
- Then dust it with a few sprinkles of flour. This will make it easier to remove the cake once baked.
- Take 3/4 of the dough, shape it into a ball, then start flattening it, first with your hands, then with the help of a rolling pin. Make it 1/8 of an inch thick. Also, make sure you sprinkle your rolling pin and your work table with some flour. You need to work fast here as you want to keep the dough as cold as possible so that it's easier to move.
- Place your hands under the rolled dough, and with a swift movement, move it over the pie dish. You can also roll the dough around the rolling pin to move it around.
- Make sure the dough covers the whole dish and fits in it tightly.
- With a fork, make some whole into the base of the pie.
- Pour jam into a bowl first, and stir it around to make sure it is smooth.
- Take the rest of the dough (you should have save 1/4) and roll it flat in a rectangular shape on your table. Make sure your dough is cold. Then with a sharp knife, cut nine stripes, 1/2 inch wide.
- Position the first 4 stripes on the pie at an equal distance from each other.
- Then position the other 3 or 4 stripes on top of the others diagonally.
- Now seal the pie by pressing with your fingers where the stripes meet the edge of the pie.
- Done! Now, let the pie cool down in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking it. In the meantime preheat the oven at 360˚F
- Bake for about 30 min. The pie is ready when slightly golden on top.
- Let the pie cool down completely before cutting it and eating it. The next day will be even yummier!