Did you quit eating gluten, but miss the taste of a warm bagel in the morning? Well, these Strawberry Lemon Zest Bagels are here to save the day!
Strawberry Lemon Zest Bagels [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- ¼ cup cornmeal, for the baking sheet
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup arrowroot
- ¾ cup potato starch
- ¹⁄³ cup vegan sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups rice milk
- ¹⁄³ cup coconut milk
- ¹⁄³ cup melted unscented coconut oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, sprinkle generously with the cornmeal, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, arrowroot, potato starch, sugar, yeast, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt. Pour in the milks, coconut oil, and lemon extract and, using a rubber spatula, stir until a sticky dough forms. Gently fold in the strawberries and lemon zest. Place the dough in the refrigerator and let it chill for 1 hour, until firm.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and, using a large ice cream scoop, measure out 14 heaping portions onto the prepared baking sheets 2½ inches apart and roll into balls. Wet your fingertips and form a hole in the center of each ball of dough to create the shape of a bagel. Cover the dough with a dish towel and let it sit on the countertop for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Uncover the bagels and bake for 10 minutes. Brush the bagels with a little coconut oil, rotate the baking sheet 180 degrees, and bake until golden brown, 6 minutes. Let the bagels cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before serving.