These adorable strawberry doughnuts look just as scrumptious as any other doughnuts, but are actually healthier for you! They're gluten-free, contain fruit and less sugar than your typical doughnuts, and are completely vegan. These can be eaten plain or add some whipped buttercream frosting and freeze-dried strawberry bits for added decadence and crunch!
Strawberry Doughnuts With Jam Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- A dash of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract/flavoring
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- A handful of fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 serving of egg replacer
For the Jam Icing:
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon of strawberry flavoring or extract
- Pink food coloring (optional)
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Pre-heat your oven to 335°F and lightly grease doughnut tins with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, desiccated coconut, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients into a large saucepan over a low heat and stir until the butter has fully melted.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and add in the chopped strawberries. Mix until fully combined and dough-like.
- Pop the trays into the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Make sure they don't burn on top. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean.
- Place the doughnuts onto a cooling rack and to cool fully before icing.
To Make the Jam Icing:
- Cream the butter in a bowl on a low speed until creamy.
- When the butter is smooth, creamy, and light in color, carefully sift in the icing sugar and drizzle in the strawberry flavoring or extract.
- Whizz together until fluffy and fully combined.
- At this stage you can add in the food coloring to make your frosting pop. Apply frosting on doughnuts as desired.