This recipe is a new take on the classic strawberry shortcake that is made with corn cake biscuits. Just in time for summer strawberry season, these little cakes will provide all of the expected berry goodness and more! These lightly sweetened cakes are loaded with fresh strawberry compote, glazed with strawberry preserves, and piled with whipped cream.
Strawberry Corn Cakes With Coconut Whipped Cream [Vegan]
For the Corn Cakes:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Strawberry Compote:
- 1 pint fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon to 1/4 cup granulated sugar, adjust sweetness to your liking
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 2 cans full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons granulated or confectioner's sugar
To Make the Corn Cakes:
- Combine the vinegar with the milk and add the vanilla extract and applesauce.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and sift or whisk together to blend well.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and whisk smooth.
- Add the corn and mix well.
- Portion into muffin tins.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 30 minutes. The time will vary depending on the size of your muffins. They are done when they are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- Cool the muffins while you prepare the strawberry compote.
To Make the Compote:
- Place the first measure of fresh (or frozen) strawberries in a heavy bottom pot and add the optional sugar.
- Cook over medium heat stirring frequently until the berries break down to a mushy pulp. The mixture may boil but be careful not to scorch.
- You can leave the compote chunky or puree in a blender to your desired consistency.
- Add the other pint of fresh chopped strawberries
To Make the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Be sure to place the cans of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight before beginning this project.
- When you open the cans, they will have a layer of coconut fat on top.
- Skim the coconut fat off the top and save the leftover coconut milk for another recipe.
- Place the coconut fat in a large mixing bowl and whip until you get soft peaks. Add the sugar and whip until you form firm peaks.
Corn muffins will stay fresh at room temperature wrapped well for up to 4 days and will freeze for up to 1 month. Compote can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile