A Bhindi Masala really is a basic flavorful take on okra. The key is a good crispy okra nicely coated with a tomato based plethora of spices. Crispy okra is on not really an oxymoron on the Indian table, but there is a decent amount of oil involved.
Stir-Fried Okra [Vegan]
- 2 pounds tender okra, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 medium sized red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne powder
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the okra in a single layer in a large baking sheet and drizzle with a tablespoon of oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt and the turmeric.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes until the okra begins to brown on the edges. Watch this with care, as the okra does burn easily.
- In the meantime place the remaining oil in a skillet and add the onion, ginger and garlic and cook for about 7 minutes until the onion softens and begins to turn softly golden.
- Add in the powdered cumin, red cayenne powder and the remaining salt with the chopped tomato until the tomato softens. This will take another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold in the roasted okra.
- Sprinkle with the lime juice and cilantro and serve hot.