Kuihs or Kuehs are an extensive selection of fine, multi-colored and flavorsome cakes or sweets that are distinctively Nyonya cuisine. They are normally steamed and occasionally fried or baked. They can be eaten during breakfast, as an afternoon snack or as a dessert. This is a modern variation of Nyonya kuih that is full of flavor. This recipe is also soy free, egg free, nut free and refined sugar free!
Steamed Sweet Corn Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Raw, Refined Sugar-Free]
- 2/3 cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/3 cup sweet corn kernels
For the Sweet Corn Mixture:
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup coconut milk
For the Pandan Mixture:
- 1 cup water
- 3 fresh or frozen pandan leaves, tie into knots
For the Garnish:
- Some steamed sweet corn kernels
For the sweet corn mixture:
- Add all the sweet corn kernels and coconut milk into a Nutribullet or food processor and blend until smooth.
For the pandan mixture:
- Place all the pandan leaves and water in a small pot.
- Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Then simmer on low for 15 minutes. Set aside 3/4 cup.
For the cake:
- Roughly blend the sweet corn kernels in a food processor.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisk and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients, 3/4 cup pandan mixture and sweet corn mixture to the dry ingredients. Whisk all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into an 8 inch shallow cake pan.
- Heat up a large wok half filled with water and place a steaming rack in the wok.
- Put the cake pan onto the steaming rack, cover with lid and steam for 25 minutes on high heat. Ensure that there is enough water in the wok.
- Cool completely before cutting. For best results, refrigerate for few hours or overnight before slicing.