These sprouted chickpea burgers are the perfect meal to make on the weekend and keep on hand for the busy times during the week. They are full of healthy vegetables, fragrant fresh herbs, and a delicious smokey blend of spices.
Sprouted Chickpea Falafel Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 onions, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 3 cups of sprouted chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds plus 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup of grated zucchini
- A handful of sage, rosemary, and thyme
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Black pepper to season
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix your chia seeds and water. Set aside. In a food processor, blend up the chickpeas into a course mixture.
- In a pan, fry the onions with the rosemary, sage, and thyme. Once the onions are golden, add the garlic and fry this for 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chickpeas, the fried onion mix, and the rest of the ingredients (chia seed mixture, grated courgette, paprika, salt, and pepper).
- If you have time, you can put your mixture in the fridge until you need it. This will make the burgers easier to shape but is not necessary if you can't wait.
- Grease a large baking tray (or use baking paper) and shape the mixture into burgers on the tray.
- Cook them in the oven at 390°F for 20-30 minutes. The falafel will be ready when they begin to turn golden and are slightly crispy.
Serve them with tahini, hummus, salad, in wraps, or however, you desire.