Dill has a delightfully fresh and citrus-like flavor which, in this very quick and easy soup, is accentuated with a squeeze of lemon juice added at the end. The beans bring a layer of creaminess as well as a boost of protein. The rice thickens the soup and adds more texture. As for kale, it is always a welcome addition not only because it boosts nutrition, but also because the hint of its bitterness complements the dill. A full circle of flavors.
Spring Kale and Dill Soup With Rice [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spring Kale and Dill Soup With Rice [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon neutral oil
- 3 spring onions or 1 small red onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup arborio rice, or other rice
- 5 spring carrots or 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 oz baby kale or other kale, tough stems removed
- 1 (15.5-oz) can small butter beans
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- Lemon wedges, as needed
How to Prepare Spring Kale and Dill Soup With Rice [Vegan]
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and chili flakes. Cover the pot and cook until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, carrots and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth, kale (chopped, if using mature kale) and beans. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Partially cover the pot and simmer the soup until the rice and kale are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. If using brown rice, simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the dill and adjust seasoning, using salt, black pepper and chili flakes. Serve the soup with lemon wedges.
Zsu Dever is the author of Everyday Vegan Eats: Family Favorites from My Kitchen to Yours.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.