I love the flavor the little tomatoes add to the dish, but not loving that they got all wrinkly. But, if you like stuffed mushrooms as much as I do, these are a nice, easy appetizer to make. I added toasted pine nuts to this recipe, but thought they were a bit overpowering, so if you feel like adding them go for it or skip it all together. Skipping them will definitely cut the fat content if that’s what you’re looking for. I added a little balsamic vinegar that added a hint of sweetness, but also made the spinach turn into more brown than green. Oh well, still yummy!
Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 16 large button mushrooms, stems removed (reserve stems) and caps left intake
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup mushroom stems, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vidalia onion, diced
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
- 1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Cherry tomatoes, halfed
- Black pepper to taste
- no salt added vegetable stock for sautéing
How to Prepare Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushroom stems, onions, garlic and 1 tbsp of veggie stock. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sofetened, adding small amounts of veggie stock to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add pine nuts and toast, shaking often to prevent burning. Remove pine nuts when lightly browned from pan and set aside.
- Stir in spinach, roasted red peppers, toasted pine nuts, balsamic vinegar and black pepper to taste. Heat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Arrange mushroom caps on a non-stick baking pan or a baking dish. Divide filling evenly between mushrooms, rounding top with a spoon. Add half of a cherry tomato to each mushroom cap.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until softened and juicy.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.