Think light, fluffy and tender crepes lovingly wrapped around the most amazing creamy mushroom mix, flavored with punchy hints of garlic, shallot, and thyme. These spinach crepes are so easy to make, 15 minutes in total (after soaking the chickpeas the day before), and miraculously don’t fall apart or stick to the pan despite the absence of eggs and oil. You will fall in deep mad love with this creamy, crepey mushroomy creation. Definitely one to put on your to-do list this week!
Spinach Crepes With Creamy Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Spinach Crepes:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 cup spinach (packed, approximately 6 large leaves)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour/arrowroot/cornflour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, for cooking
For the Creamy Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for 1-2 hours
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Mushrooms:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 cups mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Black pepper, to taste
To Sprout the Chickpeas:
- At least one to three days prior, cover the chickpeas in at least twice as much water and leave overnight. The next day, rinse and drain, then leave in a colander loosely covered in a tea towel or plate tipped to the side. Rinse and drain again that night and next morning, and continue for 1-2 days until small tails form.
To Make the Crepes:
- Blend your now sprouted chickpeas with remaining crepe ingredients until silky smooth.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan on the lowest temperature possible, then pour in 1/2 cup of batter per crepe, spreading the mix out carefully into a thin even circle with a spoon.
- Cook until bubbles appear and the mix begins to appear dry on top, then flip and repeat (about one minute on each side). Place in a stack on a plate and cover with a tea towel to keep soft and warm until you've made them all.
To Make the Sauce:
- Blend sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender until super creamy with no lumps, scraping down the sides if needs
- Blend sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender until super creamy with no lumps, scraping down the sides, if need be.
To Make the Mushrooms:
- Pan-fry shallots and garlic in coconut oil on low for a few minutes, then add mushrooms for a few more minutes until they start to soften. Add sauce until it just begins to bubble, then add thyme and take off the heat.
- Place 1/4 of the mushroom mix on one-half of each crepe (or 1/6th if using 1/3 cup-sized crepes), then fold over and serve with a side salad of your choice. Sprinkle with extra cracked sea salt and black pepper, then serve.