This recipe is a spicy tofu bowl, full of marinated vegetables and fresh herbs, on a bed of grains – what more could you ask for! This is super-simple to make and is sure to satisfy your cravings for something spicy. Of course, if it's not hot enough already, just drizzle it with plenty of Sriracha!
Spicy Tofu Rice Bowl [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 16-ounce package of tofu, cubed
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- 2 cups julienned cucumber
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame or canola oil
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons mint, minced
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- Sriracha (optional)
- Mix together all of the tofu ingredients, except the tofu itself, in a bowl or plastic bag. Add tofu to marinade mixture and set aside. Tofu should marinate for at least 1 hour, and up to 8 hours.
- Place julienned carrots and julienned cucumbers into two separate bowls. Add 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar to the bowl of carrots and toss to coat with the vinegar. Add 1 tablespoon if rice wine vinegar to the bowl with the cucumbers and toss to coat. Set aside for 1 or more hours.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sesame or canola oil to cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place marinated tofu in pan (but not the marinade). Cook tofu in the pan for 10 minutes until browned. Toss tofu every 2 minutes or so to brown on most sides. Once browned, pour the marinade over the tofu and cook for 1 additional minute, until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to assemble bowls.
- Place 1/2 cup white rice in each bowl. To each bowl, add 1/4 cup each of tofu, carrots, and cucumbers. Top with cilantro, mint, and peanuts. Drizzle with sriracha and serve.