These spicy sweet potato falafel are light and soft and make the perfect lunch, snack, or dinner! They’re also oil-free and loaded with protein! They're blended together using a food processor, so you don't have to spend time fussing over chopping ingredients and they pair perfectly with just about anything. So, throw them on a pile of your favorite veggies and enjoy!
Spicy Sweet Potato Falafel [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Falafel:
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 cup, mashed)
- 1 19-ounce can of chickpeas (about 2 cups)
- 1 large handful cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 an onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (more if you like it spicier!) 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup whole grain flour or gluten-free flour
For the Avocado Sauce:
- 2 avocados
- 1 small handful cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vegan plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Salad:
- Sunflower sprouts
- Kalamata olives
- Pickled red cabbage (or regular red cabbage)
- Cook your sweet potato in the microwave or oven until tender. About 4 minutes in the microwave, or 30 minutes in the oven at 400°F.
- Remove the sweet potato from the skin and place the potato in a food processor. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the food processor, along with the remaining ingredients. Blend until it forms a thick purée.
- Taste and adjust if it needs more salt, pepper, and spice. Using your hands, roll the dough into small circles and place on the baking sheet. Place your falafel in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown outside.
- For the avocado sauce, blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor until creamy.
- Serve falafel with alongside some salad and the avocado sauce.