This recipe provides two ways to pickle radishes; the fast way and the fermented way. Their intense flavor will stand out in any dish and after you try homemade, no store-bought pickle will be able to compare. Enjoy these pickled radishes with everything, from sandwiches and burgers, to salads and power bowls.
Spicy Pickled Radishes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spicy Pickled Radishes [Vegan]
For the Quick-Pickle Radishes:
- 2 bunches of radishes, cut in halves or thinly sliced
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- 1 habanero pepper, very finely minced, seeds removed
For the Spicy Fermented Radishes:
- 2 bunches of radishes, halved or sliced
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- 4 cups of pure water
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 habanero, finely chopped
How to Prepare Spicy Pickled Radishes [Vegan]
To Make the Quick Pickle Radishes:
- In a saucepan heat vinegar, water, sugar, and spices to a simmer. Turn off.
- Add habanero pepper and salt.
- Place radishes in one large or 2 small mason jars, pour mixture over top and allow to cool.
- Leave in the fridge overnight or at least for a few hours to chill.
- Best when consumed within 2-weeks to a month.
To Make the Spicy Fermented Radishes:
- Mix together the water and salt until the salt is dissolved, mix in habanero.
- In a large mason jar or 2 smaller mason jars, add the radishes, distribute the peppercorns evenly.
- Cover with the salt water brine mixture, leaving a bit of space at the top but making sure the radishes are completely covered with brine.
- Bang the bottom of the jars on a table a few times to force any air bubble to rise to the surface.
- Seal well and allow to sit at room temperature anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. Check them often to taste and see if they are "ready" for your palates perspective.
- Refrigerate after opening.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.