This spicy papaya salad is spicy (obviously!), fresh, and aromatic with a bit of crunch from a sprinkling of sweet and smoky roasted peanuts. When you are shopping for your papayas make sure you buy nice bright green ones. I know that in most instances ripe fruit is best, but in this salad we want unripe green papaya. This salad keeps well in the fridge for a few days, but I advise that you keep the peanuts separate in a sealed jar until you serve, otherwise they tend to go a bit soggy.
Spicy Papaya Salad With Smoky Roasted Peanuts [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spicy Papaya Salad With Smoky Roasted Peanuts [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup of raw peanuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (use chili powder or regular paprika if you don't have this)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 green papayas
- 1 red chili finely chopped (remove the seeds if you want to limit the heat)
- 1 handful of fresh mint
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 large lime
How to Prepare Spicy Papaya Salad With Smoky Roasted Peanuts [Vegan]
- Add the peanuts to a small bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt and stir well to coat.
- Heat a small pan over a medium heat.
- Once hot pour in your peanuts and roast over a medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes, shaking them around every minute or two.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Cut your papaya in half and remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Shred your papaya into matchstick style pieces or if you have a spiralizer spaghetti type strands are nice.
- Put the papaya pieces in a large bowl.
- Chop your herbs finely and add them to the papaya.
- Add the red chili.
- Roll the lime hard across the work surface a few times to release the juice a bit before you cut it. Squeeze the lime juice over the salad and stir well to combine.
- Serve with the roasted smoky peanuts sprinkled over the top.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.