This spicy papaya salad is spicy (obviously!), fresh, and aromatic with a bit of crunch from a sprinkling of sweet and smoky roasted peanuts. When you are shopping for your papayas make sure you buy nice bright green ones. I know that in most instances ripe fruit is best, but in this salad we want unripe green papaya. This salad keeps well in the fridge for a few days, but I advise that you keep the peanuts separate in a sealed jar until you serve, otherwise they tend to go a bit soggy.
Spicy Papaya Salad With Smoky Roasted Peanuts [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup of raw peanuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (use chili powder or regular paprika if you don't have this)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 green papayas
- 1 red chili finely chopped (remove the seeds if you want to limit the heat)
- 1 handful of fresh mint
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Add the peanuts to a small bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt and stir well to coat.
- Heat a small pan over a medium heat.
- Once hot pour in your peanuts and roast over a medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes, shaking them around every minute or two.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Cut your papaya in half and remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Shred your papaya into matchstick style pieces or if you have a spiralizer spaghetti type strands are nice.
- Put the papaya pieces in a large bowl.
- Chop your herbs finely and add them to the papaya.
- Add the red chili.
- Roll the lime hard across the work surface a few times to release the juice a bit before you cut it. Squeeze the lime juice over the salad and stir well to combine.
- Serve with the roasted smoky peanuts sprinkled over the top.