A delicious lentil soup with ginger, turmeric and coconut milk! A nutritious soup that lights up your fall! Lentils are really a great commodity for fast everyday food. They barely take any time to cook and are so grateful to mix with other ingredients like crushed tomatoes and coconut milk. A tasty lentil soup that has both Indian and Asian influences! This soup is quite spicy and has plenty of garlic, ginger and turmeric! A real super soup now in cold times… This soup can serve with a good freshly baked bread or an Indian naan bread! If you halve the amount of water, it also works as a casserole with rice or bulgur.
Spicy Lentil Soup with Ginger & Coconut Milk [Vegan]
- 1 large red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 red or green chili
- 4 cm fresh ginger
- 2 cm fresh turmeric + a pinch of black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 jars (800 g crushed tomatoes)
- 2 vegetable broth cubes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cardamom
- 3 dl dried red lentils
- 5 dl water
- 1 can of coconut milk (400 ml)
- Rinse the lenses carefully in a sieve. Peel and chop onions, chili and garlic. Peel ginger and turmeric and grate finely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a saucepan. Fry the onion, turmeric, ginger and garlic for 3-5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into cubes. About: 1x1 cm thick. Hold the pot.
- Add crushed tomatoes, lentils, broth cubes, water and the whole spices. Let simmer under lid 10–15 minutes, until lentils and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Pour in the coconut milk.
- Season with salt. Sew for another 5-10 minutes.
- Finish up the cinnamon sticks and the 5 cardamom capsules with a spoon.
- Serve with some fresh coriander and possibly chili flakes. Enjoy!