This garlicky broccoli rabe makes a great side dish, but it's so good, it might overshadow the main course. You'll love the crunch and level of heat the breadcrumbs add to this dish with a hint of cheesiness from almond Parmesan. If you’re not into spicy foods, simply use olive oil instead of chili oil. You can even omit the red pepper flakes. If you like spicy food and broccoli rabe, however, you need to try this!
Spicy Garlicky Broccoli Rabe With Chili Breadcrumbs [Vegan]
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 1 cup cubed French or Italian bread, crust removed
- 2 tablespoons hot Italian chili oil or Asian chili oil
- 1-2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice and cold water. Blanch broccoli rabe for 1 minute in boiling water, and transfer to ice water bath. When cool, remove from bowl and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Pulse breadcrumbs in a food processor until coarsely ground. Heat chili oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs to pan and season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Toast for 5-6 minutes or until crunchy and browned, stirring frequently. During the 30 seconds of cooking, stir in vegan Parmesan. Transfer breadcrumbs to a bowl.
- Turn off heat and wipe out sauté pan. Add olive oil and garlic to the pan. Turn heat back to medium and sauté garlic 2-4 minutes or until golden, stirring often. Add broccoli rabe to pan, season with salt and pepper, and sauté 2-3 minutes or until reheated. Top with breadcrumbs and serve.