Tender, yet crunchy cauliflower, and smothered in a spicy sauce, this Buffalo cauliflower sandwich is an example of how to make good things even better by putting them between two slices of bread. Layered on fresh, crispy bread with spinach, it's the perfect sandwich for summer parties, hang outs, and picnics. Serve as is or add some coleslaw to balance out the spicy cauliflower with something cool and crunchy.
Spicy Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Sandwich:
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- Baguette or ciabatta bread
For the Sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Chop cauliflower head into small, bite-size florets. Toss cauliflower in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a large baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing once or twice during cook time.
- In a small saucepan, mix together the hot sauce, Sriracha, vegan butter (or coconut oil), and coconut milk over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add in corn starch and whisk until combined. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add in yellow onion and cook until translucent, then add in spinach. Cook until wilted, then remove from heat. When the cauliflower has finished cooking in the oven, pour them into the skillet with onion and spinach. Pour the sauce over the veggies and toss until coated.
- Spoon the buffalo cauliflower into your bread of choice and serve with lettuce.