This meal is so flavorful you would never know you just ate an entire bundle of Bok Choy! Mix all of those greens with quinoa and lentils and it is a well balanced meal.
Spicy Bok Choy With Beet-Infused Quinoa and Lentils [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup quinoa (or your favorite grain)
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1.5 cups filtered water (or vegetable broth)
- 1.5 tsp beet powder
- Opt: Top with a fresh herb
- 1 large bundle of Bok Choy
- 1/4 cup Tamari (or GF Soy Sauce)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lime – juiced
- Sesame seeds for oil-free or a dash of sesame oil
- Red pepper flakes for spice (to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- Place the quinoa and lentils with water in a rice cooker. Add 1.5 tsp beet powder, stir and press cook.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Rinse and cut Bok Choy lengthwise and in half. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing the tamari sauce, water, garlic, lime juice, sesame seeds (or oil), red pepper flakes and black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Once the water is boiling add the Bak Choy to blanch. Stir for 1 -2 minutes watching closely as not to overcook. Drain (save water for plants or other meals if you can) rinse so it is cool to touch and squeeze the excess water out.
- Place the squeezed Bok Choy in the small bowl with the sauce, mix well to incorporate the flavor.
- Take a measuring cup and pack it with the quinoa lentil mixture. Place it in a bowl and surround it with the Spicy Bok Choy. Pour excess sauce on top of the quinoa and lentils. Top with a fresh herb and serve