If you've ever been to a Spanish café, you've probably encountered bocadillos on the menu. A bocadillo is type of Spanish sandwich like American submarine sandwiches, where a loaf of bread is sliced lengthwise. This spicy barbecue cauliflower bocadillo is ideal for picnics, lunch and dinner, or to take to the beach to enjoy the good weather. Cauliflower steaks are dredged in flour and baked with red bell pepper until crispy, then they're covered in barbecue sauce and baked again. The flavors of the barbecue cauliflower, roasted red pepper, and pickled vegan mayonnaise work perfectly together.
Spicy Barbecue Cauliflower and Roasted Red Pepper Bocadillo [Vegan]
For the Sandwich:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 rolls of bread
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tomato
- A couple of slices of cheese vegan
For the Pickle Mayonnaise:
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 lime
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 pickles
- A pinch of salt
- In a bowl, place the flour, baking powder, oregano, poultry seasoning, cumin, salt, pepper, water, and oat milk.
- Mix well with a spoon, to make it all well combined.
- Add the barbecue sauce and Sriracha and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Cut the cauliflower into steak slices. How much of the cauliflower you use depends on how many sandwiches you want to make.
- Dredge the cauliflower in the flour mixture, ensuring that they are covered completely, then place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Cut the red bell pepper and also put it on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes have passed, remove the sheet from the oven, cover the cauliflower with barbecue sauce, and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Prepare the vegan mayonnaise by adding juice from 1/2 lime, 1 clove grated garlic, and the pickles.
- Slice open the bread and spread the mayonnaise.
- Add the cauliflower, then add the red bell pepper.
- You can melt the vegan cheese by heating it in a saucepan then pouring it over the sandwich or by adding it to the sandwich and melting it in a toaster oven.
- Slice the lettuce and tomatoes, add to the sandwich, and serve.