While quick bread typically contains refined grains and multiple animal products, a few tweaks and you’ve got a plant-based treat. One that is arguably more delicious! This zucchini bread is a perfect example that you can continue to bake favorite dishes while eating wholly plants. A sweet and moist bread, its delicious on its own but can also be topped with nut butter or chia jam for added flavor. The add-ins offer extra nutrients, texture and flavor.
Spiced Zucchini Bread [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup Deglet Noor dates, pitted approximately 20
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup goji berries and/or walnut pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Make flax eggs by stirring together flaxseed and water in a small cup. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Place shredded zucchini, dates and vanilla extract in a food processor fitted with an "S" blade. Blend for 1-2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Small pieces may remain, make sure all large pieces have been processed.
- Pour zucchini mix and flax eggs into dry mixture as well as any add-ins (goji berries or walnuts) and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour dough into a non-stick or lightly greased 9x5 inch bread pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife pushed into the center comes out clean.
If you don't have allspice, substitute 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. Another options is simply increasing the cinnamon by 1/2 tsp.