This brownie is a variation of the cake I created when I competed in the final round of the Food Network Girl Scout Cookie Championship television show. The cake was a six-layer, two-tiered, double barrel cake featuring chili peppers from a surprise ingredient table and the vegan s’mores girl scout cookie. This brownie offers up the chocolatey, spicy, marshmallow ooey-gooey fun the cake did, only in one simple layer, one pan, and a fraction of the time. Oh, and also without the pressure of doing it on TV in front of a panel of judges and a dozen cameras on you.
Spiced Hot Chocolate S’mores Brownies [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Spiced Hot Chocolate S’mores Brownies [Vegan]
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups all-purpose or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic sugar cane
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mini vegan chocolate chips
- 2 cups mini vegan marshmallows
- 1 cup roughly crumbled vegan graham crackers
How to Prepare Spiced Hot Chocolate S’mores Brownies [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13–inch baking dish with 3 inches of parchment paper hanging over each side of the baking dish and coat with cooking spray.
- Combine the flax meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, chili powder, and cayenne pepper until well combined. Add the canola oil, milk, vanilla, and flax mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and graham crackers until combined.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish, spreading the batter evenly to fill the dish. Bake for 35 minutes, until the top, is dry and the marshmallows have started to puff and brown slightly.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then lift the entire brownie out of the baking pan with the overhanging parchment. Transfer to a flat surface and cut into 12 pieces.
- Take out the cinnamon, chili powder, and cayenne pepper to have a traditional brownie without the spice. - Cut into smaller pieces to create brownie bites. - Store in an airtight container or wrap in plastic wrap. Keep at room temperature for 3 days or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.