This recipe for rich gingerbread cake is the perfect balance between spicy and sweet. For those of you who have a sweet tooth, the luscious cream cheese frosting is sweet and decadent. This cake is simplicity at its best.
Spiced Gingerbread With Cream Cheese Frosting [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease your loaf pan.
- Cream butter with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually incorporate brown sugar and mix until well combined and creamy. Gradually add flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and beat on low until just combined.
- Combine molasses and vinegar in a separate bowl and gently stir boiling water into molasses mixture. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, incorporate molasses mixture into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until gingerbread begins to pull away from sides of pan and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- Beat together frosting ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth and use a spatula to frost cooled loaf.