These roasted carrots with pistachios are a delicious meal and they are incredibly healthy for you. The spice blend provides a depth of flavor that compliments the sweetness from the roasted onions and carrots. But it's The crunch and salt from the pistachios that tie this dish together and makes it truly special.
Spiced Carrots With Pistachios [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1/2 pound spring onions or regular onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons canola, vegetable, or grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- Lemon wedgesm for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Scrub the carrots to remove any dirt and trim the green parts.
- Depending on the size of the carrots, cut the large ones in half so that they're roughly the same diameter as the smaller carrots, for more even cooking times. Trim the root and stem from the onions and peel and slice into wedges.
- Transfer carrots and onions to a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine the paprika, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and sugar. Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and toss them with your hands until they are well coated.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the vegetables and toss again so that they are evenly coated.
- Spread the vegetables out on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake the vegetables for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Remove them from the oven and transfer them to a serving platter. Sprinkle them with the pistachios, mint, and cilantro. Serve them with lemon wedges to squeeze on the vegetables for a bright hit of citrus.