These spiced preserved lemons swim in a heady combination of chunky salt, fiery dried chilis, fragrant whole coriander seeds, and earthy whole cumin seeds. These are great in meals with Middle Eastern flavors, tagines, Tunisian sandwiches, or whatever you want to experiment with.
Spice-Preserved Lemons [Vegan]
- 5 yellow juicy lemons, washed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3/4 cup coarse salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-3 dried Thai chili pepper or dry Sudanese Shata
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except for the olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a cool, dark place for 3 days .
- Transfer the entire contents of the bowl into a jar (including the liquids), add olive oil , seal well, and set aside for 3 weeks. Occasionally shake the jar to distribute seasonings.