A lovely, flavorful dish that showcases the texture of spaghetti squash mixed with Indian spices. Once cooked, the squash is tossed with a few essential spices,like mustard seeds, curry leaves, and ginger. It's then topped with a handful of nutty sunflower seeds and tangy cranberries for crunch, color and a bit of sweetness.
Spaghetti Squash With Toasted Mustard Seeds and Cranberries [Vegan]
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 to 3 red chili peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced cranberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (About 1/2 lime)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Cover in cling wrap and microwave for about 10 minutes.
- Let the squash cool slightly and then remove the flesh lengthwise to pull it out in strands.
- Heat the oil in pan and add in the mustard seeds and wait until the seeds begin to pop.
- Add in the red onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the ginger, curry leaves, and the dried red chilies.
- Stir in the cayenne pepper and salt, and then mix well.
- Sprinkle with the lime juice and the sunflower seeds and mix well. Serve hot or warm.