These baked falafel are made from black beans, jalapeño, fresh cilantro, and lime juice for a zesty, spicy flavor that sits atop a bed of crisp greens. The salad is topped with fresh tomato, corn, cilantro, and diced red onion. These flavors were made to be experienced with guacamole or just smashed avocado.
Southwestern Salad With Black Bean Falafel [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Southwestern Salad With Black Bean Falafel [Vegan]
For the Black Bean Falafel:
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- A pinch of salt and pepper
For the Salad:
- 2-3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
How to Prepare Southwestern Salad With Black Bean Falafel [Vegan]
To Make the Black Bean Falafel:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In your food processor, combine all the ingredients for the black bean falafel. Purée until the mixture is still a bit chunky, but the ingredients are completely combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop falafel batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Press down falafel until flattened (about 1/2-inch thick). Spray with olive oil and bake for 12 minutes. Flip the falafel, then bake for an additional 12-15 minutes. The falafel are done when they are crispy on the outside but moist on the inside.
To Make the Salad:
- Prepare the salad by layering romaine lettuce, tomatoes, corn, red onion, cilantro, and falafel into two large bowls. Top with the creamy cilantro lime dressing, or dressing of choice.
Makes 24 falafel. If the texture of the batter is too wet, try adding 1/4-1/2 cup of flour of choice to thicken up the batter before baking.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Beans - Black
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.