This recipe teaches you how to make your own Snickers bar using whole ingredients. The gooey caramel layer is made out of Medjool dates and peanuts, the nougat can be made from cashews or peanuts, and the chocolate that envelopes the bars is sweetened with maple syrup. These bars taste way better than anything you can by in the store and they're sure to satisfy any candy cravings.
Snickers Tart Bars [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup smooth pure peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- 1/4 cup water, or as needed
For the Nougat:
- 1 cups raw cashews or roasted unsalted peanuts, or 1/2 cup cashew butter or peanut butter
For the Peanut Caramel:
- 1 cup fresh Medjool dates, pitted (approximately 20 dates)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
For the Chocolate:
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup melted cacao butter
- 1 cup raw cacao
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat a convection oven to 350°F.
- Line the base of a long rectangle tart tin with baking paper and lightly spray the sides with oil.
- To make the base of the tart, place all base ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir well to combine. Add a little extra water, if needed, to bring the dough together.
- Press dough into the tart tin a little bit at a time to form base and sides of tart (no need to roll out first, this dough is very forgiving). Ensure the base and sides are even.
- Prick the base of the tart with a fork lightly. Line with baking paper and add baking beads or rice. Place the tin in the oven for 15 minutes, remove the baking beads and baking paper, and place the tin back in oven until tart shell is crisp and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow the tart to fully cool before removing from tart tin.
- Make your own cashew or peanut butter by placing nuts in high-powered blender, and pulse on high until nuts become oily and buttery. Scrape down sides, as needed, to ensure a smooth butter.
- When tart is cool, add cashew or peanut butter to the base of the tart.
- To make the peanut caramel, place the Medjool dates, coconut milk, and vanilla bean into a high-powered blender, and pulse until a smooth, thick paste is achieved. Stir in peanuts and salt.
- Add a thick layer of peanut caramel to slice, leave a thin gap for the chocolate layer.
- To make chocolate, place coconut oil, cacao butter, and maple syrup into a double boiler to gently heat on low. Melt, then stir in raw cacao and whisk well to combine. Pour into tart shell to complete the tart.
- Place in fridge until it's set. Slice into bars to serve.
If you have any leftover dough, roll into a ball and press down slightly to make cookies. If there is any left over chocolate, place on baking paper in the base of a deep plate or pie dish and set in fridge for raw chocolate snacks.