These vegan brownies are best enjoyed straight out of the oven, with a cup of cocoa and good friends to share it with. Inspired by S’mores Brownies in Jamie magazine. You totally can’t taste the sweet potato. But man, it makes these brownies good. Ooey gooey good.
S’mores Sweet Potato Brownies [Vegan]
- 1 cup mashed roasted sweet potato (see notes)
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, the darker the better
- 1/4 cup tightly packed soft brown sugar
- 1 cup recently boiled water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Approximately 1.75 ounces vegan marshmallows
- Pre-heat the oven to 390ºF. Line a small 8 1/2-inch baking pan with baking parchment.
- Pour the hot water over the soft brown sugar, then stir to dissolve. Combine with the oil, vanilla, and sweet potato.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly combine the dry cocoa powder and self-raising flour with a fork. Fold in the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined to prevent over-mixing the batter.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tin, scraping every last morsel from the bowl. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Switch the oven setting to broil, but keep the temperature at 390°F. Cover the top of your brownies, still in their tin, with the marshmallows. If you have extras, tuck them in where they’ll fit. The more, the better.
- Pop the tin under the broil for 3-4 minutes. Keep a close eye on your brownies all the while. Remove from the oven and also immediately afterward from the tin. Slice the cake while the marshmallows are still hot.
To prepare the mashed roasted sweet potato you will need 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC. Half the sweet potatoes lengthways, drizzle their orange flesh with a tiny bit of oil, and pop into the oven on a baking tray for about 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven, set aside to cool for a few minutes. Peel off their skins (and nibble them if you like; they’ll be caramelised and delicious). Mash the flesh with a fork.