The polar ice caps are melting and global temperatures are rising at an alarming rate, but this miniature edible iceberg still manages to keep its cool in the face of a smoldering flame. Resting upon a sturdy graham cracker platform, creamy scoops of chocolate ice cream remain insulated by a frothy meringue cloak. Toasting to a marshmallowy consistency, the overall effect is that of an indoor s’more, complete with the excitement of an open fire. These treats can be finished either in the oven or with a kitchen torch. Just set the broiler on your oven to its highest setting when you’re ready to bring the heat. “Real Food Really Fast: Delicious Plant-Based Recipes Ready in 10 Minutes Or Less” by Hannah Kaminsky is full of amazing and easy recipes. Check it out from Skyhorse Publishing!
S’mores Baked Alaska [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for S’mores Baked Alaska [Vegan]
- 4 graham cracker squares (2 rectangles split in half)
- 4 scoops vegan chocolate ice cream (about 1/4 to 1/8 cup each)
- 1/4 cup aquafaba
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to Prepare S’mores Baked Alaska [Vegan]
- Set out the graham cracker squares on a baking sheet and top each with scoop of ice cream, no larger than the base so that it won’t hang over the edge. Place the whole baking sheet into your freezer to re-solidify the ice cream.
- Pour the aquafaba into the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment installed and gradually increase the speed up to its highest setting. Once you have a steady froth going, slowly sprinkle in the sugar and cream of tartar together. Whip at full power for 5 to 7 minutes, until you achieve a sturdy meringue that stands up at firm peaks. Gently fold in the vanilla extract.
- Apply the meringue all over and around the scoop of ice cream, making sure that it completely covers the filling and connects with the graham cracker base. Either run the baking sheet under the broiler for just 1–2 minutes, or hit the individual servings with a kitchen torch, until the meringue is golden brown all over. Serve immediately before you have a meltdown!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.