There’s nothing better than tucking into a warming bowl of delicious pasta, topped with a nourishing tomato sauce! This recipe is a new take on bolognese – with a smoky twist (from smoked paprika) and an addition of tofu. This is a protein packed, Italian classic made vegan!
Smoky Tofu Bolognese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1-2 large cloves garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 1 mushroom
- 1/2 cup red pepper
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup passata
- Firstly, add the onion, garlic, courgette, mushroom and red pepper into a food processor, and blitz until finely chopped. Then, place a large wok/frying pan on a medium heat and add in the olive oil. Pour in the chopped vegetables, and fry them in the pan for 4 minutes, stirring.
- Then, drain the tofu from the pack, and crumble the block into the frying pan.
- Next, add in the dried mixed herbs, paprika, chili powder, vegetable stock powder, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes.
- When this is done, add in the chopped tomatoes and passata. Stir everything together and reduce the heat slightly. Allow the sauce to simmer and heat through for around 15-20 minutes to develop its flavors.
- During this time, cook your desired amount of pasta, ready to serve with the sauce. When both the pasta and the sauce are ready, remove them from the heat, drain the pasta and serve with the bolognese.