This smoked vegetable cheese is the perfect appetizer for a party. It's amazingly smoky and if you omit the crust, it's completely nut-free because the cheese is made from vegetables and tofu. Serve with multi-grain crackers or vegetables like celery and carrots for a delicious and savory snack that everyone will love.
Smoked Vegetable Cheese [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1.7 ounces kasha (roasted buckwheat)
- 2.6 ounces sunflower seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons tamari
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Cheese:
- 1/3 pounds white asparagus (about ten)
- 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup peas
- 7 ounces silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon agar
- 3 1/4 tablespoons non-dairy milk or water
- 1 teaspoon of lapsang souchong tea
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Arugula sprouts, for decoration
- Fava beans, for garnish
To Make the Crust:
- In a food processor, mix all crust ingredients until a coarse mixture forms.
- Spread into the bottom of a small pie pan (about 5-6 inches) and refrigerate while you make the cheese.
To Make the Cheese:
- Peel the asparagus and cut off the tough ends, then boil or steam the stalks for about 15 minutes.
- Using a high-speed blender, blend the asparagus with the silken tofu, lemon, smoked tea, and season with salt and pepper.
- Boil or steam the peas for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the non-dairy milk with the agar agar and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer a few seconds. It should reach 195°F for the agar agar to work. Add this, along with the peas, to the asparagus tofu purée and blend again until smooth.
- Add the cheese mixture on top of the crust and smooth with a spatula.
- Leave in the refrigerator for a few hours, until firm.
- Before serving, decorate with arugula sprouts.
Omit the crust for a nut-free version.