This incredible, sliceable potato cheese is the perfect thing to put on your sandwiches, to serve with crackers, or just eat it on its own – it's that tasty. The potatoes and carrots form the bulk of this cheese and they are blended smooth with a savory array of spices and then simmered with a bit of agar agar to give the cheese its firm texture.
Sliceable Potato Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 small potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 4-5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- A pinch of turmeric powder (optional)
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- A pinch of smoked paprika
- A pinch of pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoons agar agar powder
- Chop and peel carrots and then cut into smaller pieces.
- Cook them in a small amount of water with the potatoes. Once they are soft, throw them into your blender.
- Add the nutritional yeast.
- Start mixing everything together and slowly add the water and oil as you go along. Season it, to taste, with salt.
- In a saucepan, boil 1/2 cup of water (you can use the water you used for the vegetables). Add agar agar and stir it until it's dissolved.
- Add your vegetable mixture to the pot and simmer it, over low heat, for about 5 minutes. Line your cheese dish with paper, pour the cheese into the container, and store it in a cool place.
- Let the cheese set for at least 2 hours before you serve it.