A sizzling hot skillet makes the edges crispy and golden and the inside soft and crumbly. Added raspberries and a sugar crust lend just the perfect amount of sweetness….
Skillet Raspberry Cornbread [Vegan]
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons soy milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon + 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon sugar (plus more for topping)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F and place a 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet on the center rack to warm.
- In a small bowl mix together soy milk and apple cider vinegar, set aside for 5-10 minutes to form a "buttermilk."
- In a separate small bowl mix together flax meal and warm water, set aside for 5-10 minutes to form a "flax egg."
- Whisk together "buttermilk," flax egg, olive oil and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well and add wet ingredients stirring until just combined. Fold in raspberries.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from the oven and swish around coconut oil until skillet is well coated. Add batter, you will hear it sizzle! Evenly sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on center rack and bake for 15-20 or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool, cut and enjoy!