This all-purpose Pico de Gallo recipe is a jumping off point for all sorts of fresh salsa variations. Add roasted poblano peppers, thinly sliced radishes, black beans, fresh corn, mango, pineapple, or anything else you like to build a spectacularly flavorful salsa.
Simple Fresh Pico de Gallo [Vegan]
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced (you want about 3/4 cup diced onion)
- 6 ripe roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeds removed and diced
- The juice from 1-2 small limes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine. Taste and add more salt, sugar, or lime if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Pico de Gallo can be made up to 3 days ahead of time, stored in a covered container in the refrigerator.