I haven’t had a quiche, or an omelet, or anything remotely like that since I became vegan over a year ago. I don’t miss any of those old foods. I do get a bit stuck in a rut sometimes, making a lot of salads or the same old quinoa and veggies. Sometimes I just want something a bit more traditional, rustic or that takes a little more time and effort. Cue the good ol’ quiche.
Simple Butter Bean Quiche [Vegan]
- 1 can of butter beans
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup peas
- 2-4 tbsps nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- approx. half a sheet of roll-out puff pastry (or for a thicker crust, fold the whole sheet double)
- one other vegetable of your choice: courgette/zucchini, red bell pepper, green beans, etc.
- 1-3 tbsps vegetable oil
- a few sunflower seeds to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. Cover the bottom and sides of a medium-sized round pie dish with the puff pastry sheet, pressing it down with your fingers.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the butter beans with a little bit of vegetable oil until smooth.
- Add the nooch, garlic and turmeric powder and blend some more.
- Chop up your vegetables and add this to the mixture before pouring it into the pie dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Top with some sunflower seeds before serving.
You can use any of your favorite vegetables for this quiche–make this recipe your own. The most delicious meals are often the ones you get really creative with.