Have you ever had a fantastic bowl of ramen? When it comes to this awesome bowl of noodles, there are three kinds: shio ramen which is seasoned with salt, miso ramen which is seasoned with miso, and shyoyo ramen, which is seasoned with tamari, shoyu, or soy sauce. This shyoyo ramen with tofu and veggie sausages is a must-make for any ramen fan.
Shyoyo Ramen [Vegan]
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, cut into 3 slices
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 4 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dulse flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 10-ounce package super-firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 vegan sausages, cut into 1/4-inch slices on the bias
- 2 tablespoons sake or mirin
- 1/4 small cabbage, chopped
- 1 small carrot, cut into julienne slices
- 10 ounces ramen noodles
- Scallions, minced
- Togarashi seasoning
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, onion, and garlic and cook until charred on both sides.
- Add the water, broth, tamari, oil, dulse, and salt. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the broth into a medium pot, composting the vegetables. Season to taste and add the tofu, sausage, and sake to the broth and continue to simmer until needed.
- Heat the large pot over medium heat. Add the cabbage and cook to sear. Carefully pour the broth with the tofu and sausage into the large pot. Add the carrots and continue to cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling. Add the ramen and cook until al dente, stirring often. Drain.
- Serve the ramen with the broth, tofu, sausage, scallions, and togarashi.