Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup that is delicious and extremely easy to veganize! While traditionally made with beef or chicken, pho, as this recipe proves, can also be made with meaty mushrooms. Add some ginger, fresh cracked pepper, mint, garlic, and cinnamon, and you have a beautiful, fragrant, and filling dish you will find yourself making over and over again.
Shiitake Mushroom Pho [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos, divided
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 8 cups water
- 8 teaspoons vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 green onions, roughly chopped
- 2-inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- A pinch of ground clove
- Salt, to taste
- 10-ounce package of rice noodles
- Mung bean spouts
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh mint
- Fresh basil
- Chopped green onions
- Jalapeño peppers, sliced thinly
- Fresh lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large pot. Rinse mushrooms, cut off stems, and slice. Reserve the stems.
- Sauté mushrooms with 2 tablespoons coconut aminos until fragrant and the edges are nicely browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
- De-glaze pot with water. Add vegetable broth, agave nectar, remaining tablespoon of coconut aminos, reserved mushroom stems, white onion, garlic, green onions, ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, coriander seeds, peppercorns, and ground clove.
- Cover and allow to simmer on low for at least 1 hour. For a properly developed broth, start in the morning.
- Strain broth through a very fine strainer or cheese cloth, so you are left with only liquid. Pour back into pot and heat for serving. Taste broth and add salt, if needed.
- Cook noodles as the package instructs.
- Place noodles and mushrooms in soup bowls. Spoon broth over noodles and mushrooms.
- Add your toppings by layering bean sprouts, fresh herbs, green onions, and peppers. Squeeze fresh lime and if you like your pho extra spicy, add Sriracha.