You'll love the combination of romaine lettuce and napa cabbage for this salad, and the carrots and cucumber add extra veggie power and crunch. The mandarin orange is a must too—it tastes amazing with these flavors.
Sesame-Ginger Chopped Salad With Crispy Wonton Strips [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 8 wonton wrappers, sliced into 1/2-inch wide strips
- Salt, as needed
- 4 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 cups finely shredded napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, plus more as needed
- 1 medium mandarin orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- To make the sesame-ginger dressing, combine the ginger, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, agave, and salt in a blender or food processor. Blend on high speed until the dressing is smooth. Season with additional salt, if desired.
- To make the wonton strips, heat the oil in a medium pot until it reaches 360 to 370°F. Fry the wonton strips for about 15 seconds, or until golden brown, in three or four batches. Transfer the wonton strips to a plate lined with papers towels to drain. Season them immediately with the salt.
- To make the salad, combine the romaine lettuce, napa cabbage, carrots, cucumber, scallions, sesame seeds, and a couple handfuls of the crispy wonton strips in a medium bowl. Add 4 tablespoons of the dressing and toss to coat the salad. Divide the salad between serving bowls and top each serving with sliced mandarin orange, extra wonton strips, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve the salads with extra dressing.