If you're looking for the perfect date night or holiday entrée for a small crowd, look no further. Seitan is cooked in deeply flavorful red wine reduction flavored with vegetables and juniper berries, then served with browned Italian onions. Go ahead, treat yourself.
Seitan Steak With Juniper In a Red Wine Reduction [Vegan]
For the Seitan:
- 14 ounces seitan (in one piece)
- 3 carrots
- 1 big onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 8 juniper berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 3 sage leaves
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 1/2 cups red full-bodied wine
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons broth
- 1 teaspoon of starch
- 8 cups extra virgin olive oil
For the Onions:
- 14 ounces borrettane onions
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons red full-bodied wine
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cane sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Make the Seitan:
- Cut celery and onion, crush the juniper berries, and combine the herbs and the seitan. Place everything in a bowl, pour the wine, and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Drain the vegetables from the marinade and let them brown in a little oil. Add the wine and vegetable broth and cook until the vegetables are soft and the wine has reduced. Blend, then pour through a strainer.
- Transfer to a saucepan, add one teaspoon of starch, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice seitan, then add to a pan with three tablespoons of oil and a sprig of rosemary, add it to the sauce. Serve the hot seitan with the sauce.
To Make the Onions:
- Heat the bay leaf in 4 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onions and cook until brown. Add sugar and let it caramelize. Add the red wine and cook for a few minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Seitan (Plant Protein)