If you’ve always wanted to make vegan meatballs, then today is your lucky day! Not just that, but I’ll also be sharing with you a simple but yummy tomato sauce that goes really well with these meatballs, or with a ginormous plate of spaghetti.
Seitan Meatballs With Homemade Tomato Sauce [Vegan]
- 8 ounces seitan
- 5 tablespoons macadamia nuts and pine nuts (or other nuts of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Fresh parsley
- 1 egg replacer (flax egg or powder)
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- 6-7 sun dried tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and pepper
- Handful fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 392°F.
- Using a food processor, process the seitan first. Add the nuts, olive oil, and soy sauce. Salt to taste, and process again.
- Prepare the egg mixture. If you’re using powdered egg substitute follow the instructions on the box. If you’re using flaxseed meal instead, use 1 tablespoon of meal and 2 1/2 tablespoons of hot water. Cover the meal with the water, and let is soak up the water for 5-10 minutes. When the meal has absorbed all the water, add it to the seitan mixture.
- Cut the parsley, and mix it with the breadcrumbs. Add the breadcrumbs to the seitan, and mix until well combined. Form into balls (about 1 tablespoon per ball).
- Bake the balls on a tray lined with baking paper for 20 minutes.
- For the sauce, throw all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Heat up the tomato sauce in a saucepan over low heat.
I personally like to serve the sauce on the side rather than on top of the meatballs. That way the meatballs are nice and crispy.