Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Rosemary and sage add a punchy, savory deliciousness that works alongside the creamy-sweet flavors of this quiche. This quiche crust is made with whole-wheat pastry flour and oat flour. There is also a couple tablespoons of vegan cream cheese, which is in the filling, to the crust. The quiche is topped with some slow-caramelized onions which adds a little more sweetness to the dish and very nicely compliments the savory flavors of the herbs.
Savory Sweet Potato Quiche [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Savory Sweet Potato Quiche [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil (try to use extra virgin)
For the Filling:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (baked in a 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes or until a fork inserted in the middle slides all the way through. Remove, cool, and peel.)
- 1 8-oz tub (minus the 2 tbsp used for the crust) vegan cream cheese, either plain or savory.
- 1 12-oz packet of silken extra firm tofu
- 3-4 sprigs of rosemary (about 1 tbsp chopped)
- 3-4 sage leaves
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
For the Topping:
- 1 large sweet yellow onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil
How to Prepare Savory Sweet Potato Quiche [Vegan]
To Make the Crust:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. The dough should hold together in a ball, but if it doesn’t, add some water.
- Place in a container or wrap it in shrink-wrap, then refrigerate while you get your filling together.
To Make the Filling:
- Place all the ingredients together in a food processor and process until you have a smooth filling. If you aren’t using a food processor, chop the herbs first, then mash the ingredients together into a really fine paste. You don’t want a lumpy filling. You might try using a blender even.
- In a 9-inch tart pan or a pie plate, lightly greased, place the crust dough and with your fingers pat it out to the sides, climbing up to the edges until you have an evenly patted-out crust.
- Scrape the filling into it. Try to smooth it down as much as possible because this is a thick filling that is not going to settle on its own in the oven.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until the filling is nicely set.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before sliding off the tart-pan sleeve.
To Make the Topping:
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and sugar and cook them, stirring frequently, on a medium-low flame until they are nicely golden-brown. This takes more than half an hour and some patience– you don’t want to hurry it up and burn them which would make them bitter. Scatter the onions on the quiche. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2438 | Total Carbs: 214 g | Total Fat: 146 g | Total Protein: 73 g | Total Sodium: 3868 g | Total Sugar: 24 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.