This savory split pea soup is so rich and satisfying. The celery, leek, garlic and parsley only aid in enhancing the already delicious flavor of the split peas! It is a great meal for a cold fall or winter night!
Savory Split Pea Soup [Vegan]
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped in small cubes
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 pound dry split peas (green or yellow), rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon carob powder
- salt to taste
- Add a few tbsp of water to a large pot and place over medium heat. Add carrot, celery and leek and cook until soft.
- Add cabbage, split peas, water and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and let cook for 90 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add parsley and carob powder and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt to taste.