Congee is a is a rice pudding that's commonly served throughout Asia. This delectable salty Kombu congee checks all of our boxes for a tasty meal. The creamy congee is mixed with fresh green beans, bitter arugula, tender carrots, strips of kombu, and a bit of saffron that gives this umami-bomb a subtle nuance that's truly special.
Savory Saffron Kombu Congee [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Savory Saffron Kombu Congee [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup long grain jasmine rice
- 1.76 ounces of green beans
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 small piece fresh ginger
- 1 bunch of chives
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1 sachet of saffron
- Sea salt, to taste
- A few lemongrass leaves
- Olive oil to taste
- 1 piece kombu seaweed
How to Prepare Savory Saffron Kombu Congee [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Rinse the jasmine rice and let it soak in 1 1/2 cups of water overnight.
- In the morning, transfer the congee to a pan and cook it, covered, on low heat, until the mixture is creamy. It will take about 1 1/2-2 hours. Try not to take the top off.
- When you're congee is 10 minutes from being done, add the saffron.
- Blanch the green beans in boiling salted water, drain them, and put them in ice water to cool them.
- Wash the kombu and cut into strips.
- Peel the carrots under running water and cut into small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a wok then add the peeled and grated ginger and the carrots.
- Lightly salt the mixture and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes and then add the lemongrass.
- Add green beans and arugula and sautée the mixture for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and mix n the congee.
- Add the chives and chopped parsley.
- Garnish the dish with a mint leaf and borage flowers or other edible flowers and herbs to taste.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 215 | Carbs: 51 g | Fat: 0 g | Protein: 4 g | Sodium: 84 mg | Sugar: 4 g Calculation not including ingredients added to taste.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.