This recipe for savory oat pancakes is simple, easy, delicious, and super-filling — a great alternative to store-bought breakfast! Oat and semolina pancakes spiced with chili powder are topped with savory tomato, onion, fresh green chili, and a sprinkling of cilantro for a unique breakfast experience.
Savory Oatmeal Pancakes With Coconut Peanut Chutney [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Savory Oatmeal Pancakes:
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour (you can make your own by grinding oats in a food processor)
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 2 tablespoons vegan yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
For the Coconut Peanut Chutney:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 whole dry red chili
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt, to taste
To Make the Pancakes:
- Mix the first six ingredients in a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron pan or griddle over medium.
- Moisten a piece of paper towel with oil; carefully rub skillet with oiled paper towel.
- For each pancake (makes about 6 pancakes), spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter onto skillet, using the back of the spoon spread batter into a round.
- Sprinkle some vegetables on top; cook for 2 minutes and flip to cook for 2 more minutes on the other side.
- Serve with coconut and peanut chutney.
To Make the Chutney:
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, red chili, curry leaves, and peanuts. Sauté for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Add all the ingredients in a food processor and grind until you get a smooth paste. Check for seasoning.