Get ready to enter mushroom heaven with these tartlets! A warm, flaky vessel transports a savory filling of mushrooms, onions, and sour cream. And guess what? These freeze and reheat wonderfully so go ahead, make a big batch!
Savory Mushroom Tartlets [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 8-ounce package vegan cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
For the Filling:
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Fresh thyme, for garnish (optional)
To Make the Crust:
- Beat vegan cream cheese, flour, and vegan butter together until smooth. Divide the dough and pat into two rounds, cover in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
To Make the Filling:
- Add the mushrooms to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely minced and transfer to a large skillet. Add the butter to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat, until the mushrooms give off some of their liquid.
- Add the onion to the food processor and pulse until finely minced. Add onions to the mushroom mixture. Cook until the onions have cooked and softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream, salt, thyme, and flour.
- Cook for about a minute until thickened and remove from heat to cool.
To Assemble the Tarts:
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough and cut into 2 3/4-inch circles and press into a mini muffin pan.
- Fill the pastry cups with 1 teaspoon of mushroom filling. Bake at 450°F for 12-14 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown. Serve.
Can be made ahead and frozen until ready to serve. To reheat tartlets, defrost them for 20-30 minutes and warm in a 325°F oven for 8-10 minutes.